Monday, August 1, 2011

New Food Grinder, Using Baby Food Cups & Labels, Plums Cost Breakdown

New Food Grinder
I decided the other day that I wanted to buy a food mill or grinder to help prepare small batches of baby food and to remove skins. I purchased it at Target for $10. It is made by Munchkin and is really easy to use! I'm not sure how well it will remove skins & such because I haven't had the chance to try foods with this problem yet. I used it to prepare a small batch of plums just to test it out. I baked 1 plum and removed the skin, stuck it in the grinder and it took literally 10 seconds to prepare. No joke. So easy! I can't wait to try this thing out on more stuff! The grinder also came with a mesh feeder. I have read a lot about these things being really good for teething babies. They say to just freeze some fruit slices and stick them in. It's a healthy snack and a soother.

Using Munchkin Food Safe Freezer Cups
I also tried the food cups my Mom bought me for the plums. They froze perfectly and so that I could use the cups again soon to make more food, I popped the plums out into a freezer safe bag that I had labeled. It worked so well! They popped right out of that silicone cup and they are still frozen into perfect serving sizes. I love these cups! One helpful hint though, don't overfill them!

Using Evenflo Smart Steps Magic Labels
The labels she got me worked perfectly too! They washed right off! I was very surprised. They are evenflo labels that can be bought at Wal-Mart.

Plums Cost Breakdown
4 plums at $0.99/lb = approx. $1
4 plums = 5 servings
Homemade Baby food plums = approx. $0.20/serving!!

No comments:

Post a Comment