Thursday, July 28, 2011

First Recipes

Hi all!! I decided to start cooking for Toby when I realized how much junk really goes into commercial baby food. I was also concerned about the recalls that baby food companies have sometimes. I did some research and so began my mission. I have made myself Toby's own personal chef. I gave him Gerber baby cereal for first foods, but as I have learned, you don't have to give your baby cereal to start out with. I do plan on keeping the cereals on hand for thickeners and added flavors to his fruits and veggies. If you plan on or are interested in making your own baby food I would also like to recommend http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/ It's a great resource that I use a lot. You can find my own experiences with these recipes here on my blog. The first real food I tried with Toby was Avocado.

Avocado
Avocado is rich in lots of vitamins and minerals and the good fats that babies need. It's a great food for babies to have first. To prepare avocado all you have to do is peel it, remove the pit, and mash it up with a fork. It's that easy!! I express breastmilk for Toby so I also mixed some of that in too. You can freeze or refrigerate avocado in unpeeled halves, just be sure to put lemon or lime juice on it to keep browning at bay. Toby really loved avocado. I would highly recommend trying it for your babies too!


After a nice bowl of avocado



2 comments:

  1. Carol Anderson YargerJuly 29, 2011 at 1:09 PM

    Toby is cute even covered with baby food. I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks! I wanted to make something informative to help other moms and dads I know make baby food for their own babies. Plus, it helps me keep track of things.

    ReplyDelete